Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Red Beans and Rice

For the past few years J and I have been trying to eat less meat and dairy. I don't know if we'll ever become true vegetarians/vegans, some patches of the year are better then others. But we're motivated because it is the start of the new year.

I recently bought a cookbook called "Vegan Cooking for Carnivores". It is written by Roberto Martin, who is a personal chef to Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi. Portia said that "instead of making vegan food, he made food vegan". After I make some more recipes I'll write a review of the book. Now the book claims that if you're going to make one recipe from the book, make red beans and rice. So I decided that one would be it.

I have never heard of red beans and rice before and it doesn't really sound very promising but I was proved wrong. The dish is very exciting visually and taste wise.


I used Frys Vegeterian Spicy Sausages in the recipe. The dish turned out great! I think it could definitely fool a carnivore! The sausages did make it nice and spicy, I think I'll try to make it with some Frys Traditional sausages next time to make it milder. The recipe made a hearty amount so luckily we had left overs for lunch the next day. Yum!

I have vegan chili recipe that I make in the slow cooker and this one definitely replaces it.

No comments:

Post a Comment